Wednesday 22 February 2012

Korean Boy


Korean Boy

It was, if I remember correctly, last Monday
Both quite relaxed, she was eating, I was drinking a cold beer
Sometimes we went to Rumba’s, but today we were here
She had almost finished, I was about to pay

The passing life-guard warned at the sea being too choppy
The Market’s noise grew louder, over their shoulders,  I could see he was blue
A duck-egg greyish, dirty pale blue that got worse as the crowd thickened, I knew
His near naked body stretched out, his two long arms floppy

As we froze, he choked on his own vile vomit, black as coal
The life-guard finished, defeated now comforted the girlfriend that cried
He pummelled his heart, blew in his lungs, screamed out to God, but he still died
His warm soul goes to heaven, his cold dead body back to Seoul



Young Korean man,
 Drinking, swimming then dying in the market place at Boracay
21st November 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment